At the end of the day, we all just want to be seen and understood. We want to be allowed to be our authentic selves. What’s holding us back? Here are 6 signs that I’ve gathered…
But First, what does it mean to be your Authentic Self?
For me, to be authentic is to be honest, and true to myself despite distractions and outside influences.
What could be holding you back:
1. The Idea that you have to act | You may feel like you have to act like everything is OK and that nothing is ever wrong.
2. You’re forced to fit a mold, to do things and do them in a way that are not true to your heart | You do what others think you should do. You weigh other’s opinions and suggestions over your own.
3. You’re often times misunderstood | When you are being yourself you’re criticized and told that you can’t be that way (directly or indirectly).
4. You try to fit an ideal that you think is perfect | You often feel like you are striving for perfection, striving to please others in fear that you will let others down.
5. Not taking the time | You’re not spending enough time with yourself, getting to know yourself or with people who support/see you.
6. Not following your heart/what you know and feel within | When you simply go against what your heart/intuition is trying to tell you, you immediately become off course from being in your authentic space, you stunt the growth and the ability to be true to your authentic self.
How can you relate? Share the things that seem to be holding you back in the comments below. And don’t forget to share with someone who could use these words.