I don’t watch much TV and certainly not in a timely fashion so I knew Zoe Ever After was a big deal when I made a point to watch it live. Anyone who knows me knows that I am one of her biggest fans (better referred to as “starz”), so of course I wouldn’t miss this premiere for the world!
I have been keeping up with all things Brandy since she was the show Thea (1993-1994) right into her debut album Brandy on September 27, 1994. Like many starz who have been following Brandy from day one, since Moesha went off air we longed for another sitcom to grasp our attention and display a positive character that everyone, especially little black girls, can look up to. Zoe Ever After is just that.
Now of course, Brandy wouldn’t be Brandy without that voice, and as I was on the high from her show premiere, she surprised us all with the release of her NEW single: “Beggin & Pleadin.” This just adds to one of several reasons why I admire and love Brandy (also known as “My Bestie in My Head”) to pieces, but here are 5 reasons why Zoe Ever After is my new obsession!
- Narration Style – I love the format of the show. It is very similar to Moesha as Zoe Moon takes you on a journey my giving some of her opinions and sharing her feelings to start and and the show.
- Fashion– Lets just say the colors, and particularly, this jacket that she is sporting is giving me life. I love a great print!
- Zoe Moon Gives you the Highs and Lows– Like on Moesha, Brandy can make you laugh one moment, but next moment take you there in tears and I can’t wait to see Brandy shine even more.
- Music– (SPOIL ALERT) I absolutely love hearing Brandy’s music in the background of one of the scenes and I absolutely loved how they brought out India Arie, singing one of my favorite and more endearing songs to date, “Ready For Love.” It is the song of all lovers and hopeful romantics all over the world.
- Zoe Moon is a Positive Role Model– If you tune in for no other reason at all realize that Zoe Moon appears to be a woman of character and self value. At the end of the day, she is trying to live the best version of herself and be an awesome mother to her son.
The fact that Zoe Moon is a positive role model is my favorite reason as to why the show is my new obsession. I love how she is really focused on bettering her life by moving on from someone (Gemini Moon) who has not been treating her right. She stands her ground. She knows she’s smart and worthy of more.
She is also a woman who’s dedicated to entrepreneurship and building purpose and meaning for herself. There is nothing more inspiring, and motivating than watching a woman (fiction or non-fiction) building herself as a self-made woman who’s not relying on anyone else (in this case, her soon to be ex-husband) to support her. She displays self worth and women can learn so much by watching Zoe.
To top it off, I can tell there will be tons of fun surrounded around Zoe as she works hard to launch her cosmetics line, Zoe Moon Cosmetics. What better role model for television? Anyone else watching this envisioning her as Moesha all grown up?
I certainly am and I’m loving every moment. I can’t wait for the next episode! Did you get to catch Zoe Moon? What did you think? Let me know what you think!
(You can catch it on Tuesdays at 10:00pm EST on BET. You can even catch the show on the BET app!)